It's very rare that I look at a designer's collection and wish to find some way of transporting every single item directly into my closet (and expanding it by about 2 or 3 sizes). This has happened only a few notable times, most recently with the beyond-amazing Cat Swanson.
Her stuff is a cool mix of eclectic, geometric shininess and old-time lace overlay. She is the last person in the world to make knickers cool.
And here are some pictures of her clothes that made me immediately feel as though everything in my closet was inadequate.
1. How cool are those silver shorts? I love how they look against the dark-blue silk of the tank, and the beads make it kind of insouciant.
2. This dress posesses my undying love. The juxtaposition of the blue against the turquoise of the beads...oh screw ithe fancy talk. So pretty!
3. This little number is kind of plain and unembellished, but it's so my style. See what I meant about the knickers? With a blazer, no less. And I like how the underneath-shirt looks romantic next to the starch white of the blazer.
4. I would shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die for this outfit.
5. It's the bad-ass version of the polo shirt. And how amazing is that skiiiiirt? When I make my fortune, the first thing I'm going to do is buy it. No, first I'll hire Gael Garcia Bernal to just stand around the house and look gorgeous. Then I'll buy this skirt.
6. Oh, fwaaaaw. This dress is so beyond beautiful. Look at all those shades of blue!
7. Tell me you didn't gasp at that dress. It's like if the Jetsons went to prom, only about 99374389 times cooler.
Any ideas on how I can make these things materialize in my room?
In other news, I accidentally picked up a book the other day and actually read it. And it didn't even come with a free DVD! Strange...
Just kidding, I love to read. But I tend to err on the side of chick-lit-shit these days, so I was proud of myself for reading The Lovely Bones. I'm about halfway through and it is CHILLING and I'm on the edge of my seat.
In still-other news, I know the Oscars were some time ago, but I was too lazy to post about them so I'm doing it now. I've spent a depressing amount of time rehashing everyone's outfit with my similarly idiotic friends, and we decided- Maggie Gyllenhaal, Penelope Cruz, Cate Blanchett, Emily Blunt and Reese Witherspoon were the best-dressed girls. Gael Garcia Bernal, Diego Luna, Leo DiCaprio, Mark Wahlberg (SWOON), Will Smith- hottest boys. All straight guys seem to dress the same at the Oscars, and at all formal events for that matter, so no prizes in the best-dressed man category. Besides, why look at the tux when you could be looking at the gorgeous slab of beef IN the tux? Jennifer Hudson- favorite winner (how cute was she when she was crying and thanking her granny?), even though she was dressed like shit. Who told her that bolero was a good idea? Oh, right, Andre Leon Talley. Well, there you have it. Little Miss Sunshine (I'm sorry, her name is ABIGAIL, Abigail Breslin, but...oh come on, she's Olive) and Jaden Smith- cutest little kids in the entire world who are probably complete show-biz brats in real life, but oh they're so adoooorable! Martin Scorsese- FINALLY.
Can't wait for next year!
P.S. Ellen is hysteeeerical. Even though she wore the red carpet, in the form of a pantsuit. I love her.
P.P.S. ALAN ARKIN IS THE MAN!
P.P.P.S. Will Ferrel=Sideshow Bob. Ladies, am I right?
Before I go, I think this post is SCREAMING for some quotes from Little Miss Sunshine. I just watched it for the umpteenth time. and God it never gets less screamingly funny (and never stops reminding me in a disturbing and lovely way of my family).
Olive: Grandpa, am I pretty?
Grandpa: You are the most beautiful girl in the world.
Olive: You're just saying that.
Grandpa: No! I'm madly in love with you and it's not because of your brains or your personality. It's because you're beautiful.
This made me laugh so hard because it's so something one of my relatives would say to me.
Olive: I'd like to dedicate this to my grandpa, who showed me these moves.
Pageant MC: Aww, that is so sweet.
Pageant MC: Is he here? Where's your grandpa right now?
Olive: In the trunk of our car.
Richard: Oh my God, I'm getting pulled over. Everyone, just... pretend to be normal.
Members of my family have actually SAID this sentence. Verbatim.
Dwayne: Do what you love. Fuck everything else.
So true, Dwayne. So true.
CURRENT ATTIRE- Red-and-white polka-dot blazer from Topshop, dark Elie Tahari jeans, PWT, black ballet flats.
SIGHTINGS- This woman in the park was wearing the coolest red floor-length trench coat I have ever seen in all my life. If I live to be a hundred, I'll never pull off a coat like that. But I'll probably try to, and look like a complete idiot.
Before I go- GOD this video is funny. If you love or hate Grey's/House, WATCH IT NOW. Go to YouTube and search "Grey's Anatomy/House Parody, and it's the first thing that comes up.